Monday, October 18, 2010

Rest in Peace, Murphy

My beloved little Murphy went to heaven today. He will be missed. He was such a sweet little guy. I know he's already found his long time buddy Oliver. I know he's busy taking care of Oliver. I remember several years ago somewhere in Montana when Oliver ran up a hill barking and giving heck to a skunk. Murphy ran up the hill after Oliver, trying to tell little Oliver DANGER!! STOP!! Well, Oliver came out unscathed while Murphy got "skunked" full on, right in the face. I cleaned Murphy up as best I could but two months later I could still smell remnants of the episode.

Murphy had a good, long life. He made it to 14 1/2. He was born in Bakersfield, CA. He came to live with Oliver and me when he was 3 months old. It took him about 10 minutes to convince 5 y/o Oliver that he was alpha dog. But Ollie and I knew better!!

Murhpy was well traveled. He accompanied me to Alaska, Maine, Florida and the Southern border of California and many, many points in between. He hiked part way up Mt. Whitney with me when he was just 1 1/2. He loved lying in the sun and having his ears scratched.

Rest in Peace, Muph!! I miss you!!




A Pet's Prayer
Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should lick your hand between the blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me do.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footstep falls upon my waiting ear.

When it is cold and wet, please take me inside, for I am now a domesticated animal, no longer used to bitter elements. And I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth. Though had you no home, I would rather follow you through ice and snow than rest upon the softest pillow in the warmest home in all the land, for you are my god and I am your devoted worshiper.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although I should not reproach you were it dry, I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me clean food, that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life should your life be in danger.

And, beloved master, should the great Master see fit to deprive me of my health or sight, do not turn me away from you. Rather, hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest and I will leave you knowing the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands.

Written by Beth Norman Harris

9 Comments:

At 1:17 PM, Blogger owner said...

So sorry about Murphy. He will be missed by all of us WIN's.

 
At 1:33 PM, Blogger sally said...

Thanks, Donna.

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger Diana said...

Oh, I'm soooo sorry... I know how bad you must feel. I'm sure Molly has found Murphy up in dog heaven, and together with Oliver will show him the sights and get him oriented. Then they'll have a great time playing and playing and playing!

 
At 3:05 PM, Blogger Donna McNicol said...

So sorry to hear this...I remember the first time I met Oliver and Murphy. They were such sweeties.

I've started a new website, http://toadilypets.com and each Friday I feature a pet. Love to have you submit them both!

Love & hugs!!

 
At 3:34 PM, Blogger Ted and Mary Ellen said...

I know you're grieving, Sally. All of us who have lost beloved pets are sharing your tears.

 
At 3:44 PM, Blogger sally said...

Thanks everyone for your kind words for me.

I can visualize Molly, Murphy and Ollie up there in heaven, with their little wings and halos romping around and sniffing. = )

 
At 8:47 PM, Blogger Juengst said...

I know how much Murphy meant to you and he'll not be forgotten..glad you have your new companion to help you through the pain

 
At 1:35 AM, Blogger Hundewanderer said...

PJ and I send our condolences. We are sorry for your loss. Take care, we miss you.

 
At 9:47 PM, Blogger Barbara and Ron said...

Oh, Sally, I'm sooo sorry. Murphy was a very special doggy. He even had the good taste to like ME! I feel your pain - he was a treasure.

Hugs!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home