Monday, October 04, 2010

I know I'm way behind.......

...but I'm just going to jump to October.

Mom and I set out early one Saturday morning from Sun City and headed to Oklahoma to purchase a 1976 24' Airstream Argosy. It took us two days to get there. After carefully looking over the trailer we decided to take her home with us. She had a lot of issues but nothing that seemed insurmountable. We headed back west around noon on Monday, with the little Argosy in tow. We drove and drove and drove and drove. We spent Monday night at a fairly quiet rest stop somewhere in Texas along HWY. 40. The next day we drove and drove and drove and then spent the second night at a fairly noisy (due to the constant passing and horn blasting of trains) rest stop just west of the NM/AZ border. It started raining sometime during the night. The next morning we drove and drove and drove in pouring rain. The rain finally stopped when we turned south on HWY 17 in Flagstaff. We were on the final leg of our journey. = )

The little Argosy pulled well, weighing way less than half of what my 28' Toy Hauler weighs all loaded up.


I parked in front of my house in Sun City and discovered water dripping down from the underside of the trailer. HMMM!! The whole outside of the trailer is practically smeared with silicone caulking so where could the water have leaked in? I don't know yet, but hopefully I'll figure it out before the next rainy day. **UPDATE-- It just started to rain!!!*** Mom and I have been busy updating the little Argosy. Mom is working on new drapes for the windows and I am tearing out the bathroom. I started out just wanting to put in a new toilet in the rear bathroom. Well, one thing led to another and now I am removing the shower pan, the sink and cabinet and black tank, so I can (or hire someone else to) replace the rotting wood floor across the back wall of the trailer.

This past week I learned how to remove old rivets and install new rivets. And today I bought a jig saw that should come in handy for a few upcoming projects.

I found an invaluable web site which has posts and links to almost anything you ever wanted to know about new, old and Vintage Airstreams - http://www.airforums.com/forums/ (copy and paste if you want to check it out)

Here's my truck all ready for the trip to Oklahoma.


We stopped in Gallup for lunch on our first day.


This is a Visitor's Center in Texas.


After spending Sunday night in Tulsa, bright and early Monday morning we pulled into Wade's RV Clinic.



Here's the crew at Wade's who were most helpful.




Here's the little Argosy all hitched up and ready to head west.






Mom and the little Argosy.



I was happy to find speaker wire hiding behind some plastic covers. I hope to install a radio soon.



This orange ring and black ABS flange were very difficult to remove!!



This is inside the sink cabinet, all rotted out, one of the places the toilet leaked into.





I thought the toilet flange was hard to remove. The shower drain was even harder. I cut into the threads on the ABS pipe coming up from the shower drain pipe. That will have to be replaced. = (


Removal of the shower pan, the black tank and sink and cabinet is next on the agenda.

7 Comments:

At 5:26 PM, Blogger owner said...

ocklIs this for you our your mom?
If this is for you how will you haul your Bike?
And I must add that fixing up your house has spread next thing is hanging out your Shingle.

 
At 4:44 AM, Blogger sally said...

The plan is for it to be Mom's summer cottage up in Concho. If I survive this one I might buy a second one to fix up and leave permanently in Concho for me.

My bike is for sale. =( As will be the toy Hauler when I get it out of the shop.

"Sally's Home and RV Destruction CO." I like it!!!

 
At 10:00 AM, Blogger Ted and Mary Ellen said...

WOW! You sure have taken a huge project! Hang in there. I'm shocked you're selling the bike, but...you know best. The weatheris glorious right now. Stay longer next year!

 
At 4:11 PM, Blogger Diana said...

Welcome back to the world of blogging! You never cease to amaze me with your handywoman skills!

 
At 7:35 PM, Blogger sally said...

Diana, my handywoman skills are being tested to the MAX!!

ME, I plan on staying longer next year. It finally cooled off down here in the valley.

 
At 9:54 PM, Blogger Barbara and Ron said...

Wow! Well, congrats on the new summer cottage. You really have a project now, but it will be perfect when it's done. We'll have to come see it.

 
At 5:37 AM, Blogger sally said...

Barb, she's very homely right now, but someday she will be a cutie!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home