Tuesday, July 27, 2010

10,200' Leadville, CO

After 11 days in Salida I headed to Leadville. I parked at the very friendly Leadville Elk's Lodge.


Here's a picture of my trailer and another rig parked in the Elk's Lodge parking lot. The picture was taken from the Lodge's south facing deck. Notice the colorful Victorian behind my trailer.....


Here's a full picture of the adorable Painted Lady...



I only stayed in 10,200' Leadville for two days before heading to a town with more oxygen. But, while there, I went on another 200 mile loop ride. I went south out of Leadville and then turned west on Hwy. 82 which took me to the top of the beautiful Independence Pass. At 12,095' I think it is the highest paved pass in Colorado. It's the highest one I've every ridden over. The views on the ride up and down are just breath taking!!


Hwy. 82 took me through Aspen, playground of the Hollywood stars. I didn't see any Hollywood types but I did see lots of huge Hollywood star type houses. I first visited Aspen in 1967 on a two week Christmas vacation, while in high school. The town has sure changed since then!!! The ski lift tickets where only $4/day for those under 16, which I was.

I arrived in Glenwood Springs, home of Colorado's and possibly the world's largest natural hot springs-fed pool. It's 405 feet long and 100 feet wide, and varies from 90 degrees to 104 degrees depending on where you are in the huge pool. I was lucky enough to take a dip in the pool back in 1967. But this day after visiting the local Harley-Davidson shop I stopped by a white-water kayak park. Unfortunately no one was bobbing around in a one of those little kayaks, but I did take a picture of the turbulent water.


I then hopped on the beautiful Interstate 70 and headed east, then south on Hwy. 24, and back "home" to Leadville, thus completing my 200 mile loop.

I was going to gas up my bike in Glenwwood Springs, but I was having such a good time riding I completely forgot. 57 miles later, while passing by a gas station in the tiny, charming town of Minturn, I luckily remembered about the importance of gasoline. If not for that very expensive gas station I would not have made it the 30miles to Leadville and the next station. WHEW!!!

4 Comments:

At 1:05 PM, Blogger Ted and Mary Ellen said...

I really hate to ask...but is your trailer level? Maybe is an optical illusion! Fab pictures once again. ;)

 
At 2:35 PM, Blogger sally said...

It's been over a week but I don't remember falling out of bed!! :-)

 
At 9:47 PM, Blogger Barbara and Ron said...

Lucky,indeed. It would have really been tough to push the bike at 10200 feet!

 
At 9:50 AM, Blogger sally said...

Right, Barb. I'm about to pass out just thinking about it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home