Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Sarah Palin

Sarah Palin

On Tuesday Dec. 2, 2009 after the "Geek at the Door" took my sick computer to the shop for virus cleanup I hopped on my motorcycle and rode 32 miles to the Costco in Chandler, AZ. There are Costcos that are closer to me but the Costco in Chandler was hosting a book signing event featuring Sarah Palin and her new book, "Going Rogue." The store opened at 11:00AM and that's when the signing was to begin, and would go until 2 PM. I arrived around 10: 15. The line was very long. I was informed that there was approximately 1100 people in front of me and that Sarah would be signing about 800 books. So, the odds weren't very good that I would actually get to meet her and get a book signed. But I'm not a quitter and I decided to hang in there and stick it out til the bitter end!!! Around 1:00 the remaining crowd was informed that 247 more people would be allowed to go in. Looking at the line in front of me I thought I just might make it. Well, when the line stopped I was about 10 back from the front. I missed it by 10 people. But, the remaining crowd hung in there hoping for another chance at being admitted. A little while later a woman came to inform us that no more people would be admitted but she had 500 stickers with Sarah Palin's signature on them. The people in front of me, and then me, got a sticker. Most of the remaining disappointed people dispersed in various directions, but I decided to walk down the sidewalk toward the coveted side door that all the lucky people were granted access to and see if I could go into the store that way for some shopping or maybe an opportunity for another picture of Sarah. I got to the door, waved my signed sticker and asked if I could come in. Apparently the people at the door didn't know the people handing out the signed stickers were telling the remaining hopefuls that there was no hope for them. But I was asked to show my Costco card, then I was given a book signer number (mine was #986)and then I was allowed to find my way to the end of the line of people inside the store waiting to meet Sarah Palin. I was in!! The two ladies I'd spent the last 4 hours in line with had headed to the store's front door so they could do some shopping, and there I was, in line, a few minutes away from meeting Sarah Palin. About a dozen more people came in behind me. I felt we should maintain a low profile and not draw attention to ourselves. I just knew any minute someone would come along and demand that the people who were in line and had gotten the signed stickers had to leave. But that didn't happen. Before long I was next in line to meet Sarah Palin. My purse, jacket and book had temporarily been taken from me, and then, there I was, in front of the 2008 Republican Vice-Presidential candidate. Without missing a beat she signed a book, then took a moment to relax her arms and look me in the eyes and ask, "What's your name?" I told her, and then she extended her left hand to me (as she signed another book with her right) which I shook with my right, and then emotional tears of joy and respect welled up in my eyes. She looked quite surprised and then I just walked away. Her hand felt small, soft and warm. Mine was cold and sweaty. I was too over whelmed, I guess. I had all these great things planned to say to her, but they all just evaporated. I think I was as excited at having actually gotten in as I was to have actually met her. Her parents were there and I did stop to shake her dad's hand and ask him where his wife Sally was. Her dad told me she was changing the baby's diaper. I told him my name was Sally, also. He said he'd be able to remember my name. Afterwards, I thought of more things to say to him, like how proud he must be of his daughter. But I just gathered up my stuff and floated to the check out to pay for my book.


To make the hours in line go a bit faster, my new friends and I took turns saving places and going into the store. I went in to get a replacement Costco card. I lost it and several other important cards a few months ago. While inside I also did a little grazing and than I joined the many others who were trying to take a picture of Sarah. The store didn't make it very easy to get close enough to get a good picture, but I did manage to get a few. But later that evening while deleting all the bad, blurry ones, I mistakenly deleted all the good ones too. That made me feel a bit ill for awhile because I was really looking forward to posting them on my BLOG. But then I took a picture of the book cover and of Sarah's signature, and I had a glass of wine and then I found myself feeling a little better. = )

I started reading her book. I find it impossible not to respect and admire her. I hope I get the opportunity again to vote for her someday.


4 Comments:

At 7:17 PM, Blogger Barbara and Ron said...

You and those people who crashed the state dinner. All it takes is guts! Congratulations!

 
At 8:06 PM, Blogger Diana said...

What a cool story - and what a great experience for you.

 
At 5:45 AM, Blogger sally said...

Barb, but they are denying it. I'm not!! And I'm not all over the news. Thank goodness!!

 
At 11:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great story Sally! What a cool experience! Scott got to shake President Bush's hand when he was there to speak to the troops last year before Scott went to Afghanistan! Lisa

 

Post a Comment

<< Home