Monday, July 28, 2008

Cheyenne, WY to Rapid City, SD

Before leaving Cheyenne I dumped my holding tanks, filled my water tank and my fuel tank, then headed towards Rapid City, SD. Somewhere on HWY 85, about 20 miles south of Torrington, WY, chunks of rubber started flying off one of my trailer tires. It took me about 45 minutes on the phone (luckily I had cell phone service) with my road service before they finished getting all my info, including exactly where I was. There wasn't a highway mile marker right in front of me, so I flagged down a passing motorists and got pretty good info as to my exact location. Less than an hour later (I was told it would be at least an hour before the tow truck arrived) the tow truck arrived, the very grumpy driver changed my tire, broke a bolt on my spare tire rack, then sent me on my way with the blown out tire and the spare tire rack in the back of the toy hauler, neatly tucked in next to my Harley. Twenty five minutes later I was at a tire shop getting a new tire on my old rim.

The blown tire caused a bit of damage to my trailer :-(



I finally made it Rapid City, where I'm parked on the street near my friend's condo.


The view outside my trailer door.


The view down the street.


The view from my friend's condo.

Tuesday morning I'll move to Hart Ranch RV park for three weeks while I enjoy some riding in the Black Hills and other Sturgis Motorcyle Rally activities. :-)

3 Comments:

At 8:45 AM, Blogger Donna McNicol said...

Egad! Sorry about the tire and the damage. I'm hoping my Pressure Pro system will warn me first but not sure that would help with tread coming off.

 
At 11:29 AM, Blogger Barbara and Ron said...

Oh, no! What a terrible experience. I know how panicked I was when it happened to me, but at least my repair guy was nice. Sorry it did damage too. Can you chalk it up to all in the name of adventure?

Great parking spot at your friend's.

 
At 12:55 PM, Blogger Diana said...

Ow! Your poor little trailer. I had a blowout a couple months ago, I guess I was lucky it didn't damage the trailer.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home