Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Mesa Verde National Park

While in Ignacio, CO I ventured over to Mesa Verde National Park and took two tours to view the famous cliff dwellings.

"Mesa Verde National Park"
"Mesa Verde, Spanish for green table, offers a spectacular look into the lives of the Ancestral Pueblo people who made it their home for over 700 years, from A.D. 600 to A.D. 1300. Today, the park protects over 4,000 known archeological sites, including 600 cliff dwellings. These sites are some of the most notable and best preserved in the United States."

Pictures of "Cliff House"






The exit from "Cliff House"


"Balcony House"



A tree which seems to be growing right out of the rock.



One of the very scary ladders at Balcony House. I couldn't look up and I couldn't look down. I just took it one rung at a time. = ]


5 Comments:

At 5:12 PM, Blogger Diana said...

I had no idea they had 600 cliff dwellings. You saw the 2 prettiest, I'm sure. Great shots.

 
At 5:44 PM, Blogger Ted and Mary Ellen said...

Wonderful pictures! I like the last one the best. =)

 
At 10:13 PM, Blogger Hundewanderer said...

Hi Sally, I just got caught up on your recent blog entries. You've done some wonderful traveling, I'm envious. There's no need to rush back to Phoenix, it's hot still...

 
At 7:35 AM, Blogger Barbara and Ron said...

I love Mesa Verde! That last shot is really scary looking. I must have blocked that out.

 
At 8:59 AM, Blogger sally said...

The most amazing part of Mesa Verde is that I actually climbed all those ladders. TWICE!! I did it a few years ago too. I think that's enough!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home