Monday, August 24, 2009

Storrie Lake State Park

I left Eagle Nest on Thursday Aug. 13Th and headed down Hwy. 434. There was a 5 mile stretch where the road was so narrow a line painted down the middle is not allowed. That 5 mile stretch was not only narrow, but also very twisty and steep in spots. I had visions of coming around a blind corner and meeting up with a vehicle even wider and longer than me. Well, there were a few scary moments, but I survived!!

I arrived a Storrie Lake State Park, dumped and filled, then tried to find a good camp spot. My first choice sloped too much to the starboard side, so I found another one but the cabana area was so filthy I continued on. I found an empty "Camp Host" spot, with electric, so I asked at the gate and I was told I could park there. So I did. It was very clean, level and a my favorite type, a pull-through!!!




My big activity while at Storrie Lake, which is near Las Vegas, NM was visiting Montezuma Hot Springs.



Montezuma Hot Springs.

A collection of hot springs bubbling out of the side of a hill, feeding a variety of rock and cement tubs. Though the springs were originally used by the historic Montezuma Castle Resort, they are now accessible to the public. Three groupings of hot springs has been diverted into rather rustic cement and rock pools and tubs along the side of the road in the small community of Montezuma. Originally the numerous indoor hot-spring pools were operated by Montezuma Castle and several other resorts. Though most of the bathhouses are gone now, and the hot springs are out in the open - they have been kept rather clean, and bathers tend to be orderly because the owners, the United World College, maintain stringent regulations for using the tubs. Pools and tubs range in size and temperature, and with a little experimenting, you can find the perfect soak.

5 miles north of Las Vegas, a series of public hot springs with curative - supposedly the site of an early 16Th century visit by Aztec leader, Montezuma II, the Montezuma Hot Springs can be just what the doctor ordered after a busy day of 'touristing'. Just across you can find the 77-room old hotel which serves today as the Armand Hammer United World College of the American West. 200 students study from 70 countries for two years - equal to the last year of American high school and the first year of college. Rigorous academics are combined with special wilderness activities and multicultural workshops to make well-rounded, world aware students. Other campuses are in Canada, Singapore, Swaziland and Italy.

I spent 6 days at Storrie Lake, with three visits to the Hot SPrings, before continuing on to Albuquerque for the New Mexico State HOG Rally.

4 Comments:

At 8:28 AM, Blogger Ted and Mary Ellen said...

The United World College sounds like a worthwhile venture. I've never heard of it before. Anything that could promote world peace impresses me. I'm glad you survived your harrowing drive!

 
At 4:06 PM, Blogger Diana said...

Beautiful hot springs. I want to go some day. I have a question about parking in a camp host spot, though. Don't you get all kinds of people knocking at your door at all hours? And what do you tell them? Make up any old kind of answer??

 
At 7:02 AM, Blogger sally said...

I was going to put something over the Camp Host sign, but shortly after I pulled in someone came by and removed the sign. = )

 
At 7:58 PM, Blogger Barbara and Ron said...

I love the sound of that United World College! Not just dry academics in a stuffy school, but learning in the real world. Very interesting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home