Sunday, August 30, 2009

New Mexico State HOG Rally

From Storrie Lake I drove two hours to Albuquerque and pulled into the Elk's Lodge near the airport. I thought I'd have the whole parking lot to myself as there were no other vehicles in the lot. I had a nice view of the valley below, but it wasn't two minutes later a big motor home pulled in next to me and blocked my view. Oh well, they blocked the hot late afternoon sun.

I went to Albuquerque to attend the New Mexico State HOG Rally. HOG stands for Harley Owners Group. This was my 9Th HOG Rally in 9 different states.

Friday I joined the guided ride on scenic Hwy. 14 also known as the Turquoise Trail. We took a side trip up the 13 twisty miles to the Sandia Crest. At 10,640 ft. it was a 4,098 ft. climb from the highway. For an unreasonable price we were treated to a yummy box lunch. If you've ever been in Albuquerque and noticed all the radio towers at the top of the mountain to the east, well, here they are.




Here's the view I enjoyed while I ate my lunch.



OOOOOOH, look at all that chrome!!


The ride then continued on to the tiny town of Madrid, made famous in the movie Wild HOGS. We all gathered on the steps of Maggie's Diner, also made famous in the movie, for a group picture. I didn't get a picture of the group, but here's the Diner.




Here's some links to some info on the very funny movie
http://video.movies.go.com/wildhogs/
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/443367/wild_hogs_featurette/



It was a 140 mile ride through some very scenic countryside, with good company and good riders.

Back at the main rally site there was a spot to wash your HOG


Saturday I passed on the poker run, and went on my own ride up to Montano Mountain State Park to check out the camping situation for a possible future adventure.

Saturday night we had an over priced, but very delicious BBQ'd hamburger dinner, with all the timmings. After dinner and awards and prizes a band played. Due to unfavorable weather conditions, the Hot Air Balloon Glow was cancelled. = (
This rally didn't make the top of the list, but I had a nice time and met some nice people, as usual.

4 Comments:

At 8:22 PM, Blogger Diana said...

Looks like great fun! Too bad about the Balloon Glow. Since this is something I know I'll never experience in person, I really enjoyed reading about it in your post.

 
At 6:28 PM, Blogger Ted and Mary Ellen said...

I love reading about your adventures! Our life is so TAME right now. ;)

 
At 6:28 PM, Blogger Barbara and Ron said...

I'm sorry it didn't quite meet your expectations, since you did go out of your way to be there. But I'm sure you had some lovely rides.

 
At 7:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you are still in the area, the town of Delores has one of the best restaurants I have ever eaten at. It was called the naked moose and was at the south end of town. Patty & Tom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home