Sunday, May 25, 2008

Vernal, Flaming Gorge and Rock Springs

Sunday morning I left my spot at the Vernal Elk’s and headed to the nearest cheap diesel station. HAHAHAHA!! I purchased 9.4 gallons @ $4.57 per gallon for a whopping $43.06. That works out to 15.1 MPGs. :-) I passed a remote area station today selling diesel for $5.19/gallon. GULP!!! The pumps keep taking my debit card so I guess I’m not out of money, YET!! I headed north on the very steep and twisty HWY 191 toward Flaming Gorge. I was there back in 2003 while traveling with my friend Barb. We stopped to visit and hike with our friend Taylor, who was work camping in the area.


BRIDGE OVER GREEN RIVER



GREEN RIVER


Today I stopped to tour the Flaming Gorge Dam. We rode in an elevator that went down 42 floors in 53 minutes. WHOPPIE!! It took 5 years to build the dam. The work crews had take the winters off. Cement doesn't set up very well when the temps are below freezing. Gee, if we can build dams and brdiges, you'd think we could build a fence!!



LOOKING DOWN



LOOKING UP




THE DAM TOUR MEMBERS GET TO FEED THE FISH. SEE THE FISH? THE FISH ARE REALLY BIG!!!


THE RESIDENT MARMOT GETS TO EAT ALL THE LEFT OVER FISH FOOD THE TOURISTS DROP ON THE GROUND.




THE BRIDGE OVER GREEN RIVER FROM AFAR


I arrived at the Rock Springs, WY Super Center Wal-Mart for a break, some shopping, internetting and decision maker for where I would be spending the night since W-M is known for not allowing overnight RV parking. I was planning on heading to the local, nearby Harley shop. I looked out trailer window and here comes a familiar looking motor home - fellow WIN member, Shirley. She was jockeying for a parking spot. I start heading out the door and low and behold there’s another WIN, June. And then two more showed up. WOW, a mini WIN gathering. Shirley informed me she called W-M and was informed that it is OK to park overnight, as long as we don’t run over anything. That sounds like a fair trade-off. I came to Rock Springs mainly because it’s on the way to where I thought the WIN WY gathering is starting next week. But now I’m hearing that I might have to back track. YIKES!!! With today’s fuel prices I’m trying hard to avoid backtracking!! Oh well. The other WINs took off in a toad in search of a good spot for the first stop on the WY circuit. I stayed behind to start this posting.

5 Comments:

At 6:24 PM, Blogger Barbara and Ron said...

That first picture of the Green (brown) River is really nice. How funny that you ran into WINs. You just can't hide. :)

 
At 6:30 PM, Blogger Barbara and Ron said...

I just noticed that Shirley is in Diana's Branson post. She must have really high-tailed it to Wyoming.

 
At 5:51 AM, Blogger sally said...

I think June was there too. And Warren and Carolyn were there, and are here too. They were in MO too. In fact some of her pictures were at Warren's home, so of course he was there. I'm not sure why they came out here so fast. The WY gathering doesnt start until the 2nd.

 
At 5:56 AM, Blogger sally said...

Barbara,
That first picture of the the river is near where we started our hike with Taylor, I think. But I have no recollection of where the campground was.
And yes, if you stay at a Wal-Mart you can almost always expect to find another WIN or two.

 
At 9:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sally, sounds like everything is going along good with you and the Boy's. Have a nice day.
Love, Mom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home