Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Grand Canyon - North Rim



ASPEN TREES IN THE CAMP GROUND


"ANGEL'S WINDOW"




THE BEAUTIFUL NORTH RIM LODGE






Grand Canyon North Rim
"Definitely a worthwhile trip for those who enjoy the road less traveled, the North Rim, or "other side" of the Grand Canyon is visited by only 10% of all Grand Canyon visitors. Viewing the extraordinary beauty of Kaibab Plateau, or "mountain lying down," the incredible flora, or the rare Kaibab squirrel brings memorable satisfaction to all who make this journey. Explore Grand Canyon North Rim online and begin to discover the history, natural beauty and exceptional service of this one-of-a-kind destination.
The original Grand Canyon Lodge was destroyed by fire and rebuilt in 1937 by architect Gilbert Stanley Underwood. Its rustic construction of limestone walls and timbered ceilings complements the North Rim's lush beauty. The lodge offers peace and comfort to the North Rim visitor and is a National Historic Landmark."


Arriving at the Kaibab National Forest after dark I found the first campground of choice closed and the second one full. I ventured up a dark, dirt road and about 1.4 miles later I found a pullout large enough for my rig. Before I went to bed the sky was perfectly clear with a beautiful view of the Milky Way. Soon after falling asleep I was awoken by rain, hail, more rain, and wind. I worried about getting stuck in the mud on the dirt road and about my solar panels being pelted with the hail. The next morning things had dried out nicely and there was no apparent damage from the hail. I then headed to my third choice, the campground inside the National Park, but it too was full. I backtracked to the second choice campground and found it had emptied out nicely and I found a lovely spot for the next two days. I hung around camp that day enjoying more rain and wind with occasional sunshine, and very cool temps. The next day brought blue skies and howling winds. I unloaded Lucky, the Harley, paid the $12 entry fee into the park and enjoyed the scenic roads, vistas and geological history of the North Rim. I was in heaven riding amongst my favorite trees, Quaking Aspens, and believe me, they were quaking that day. And many of them were starting to turn to their magnificent autumn gold.
The wind eventually died down and the sun warmed the day up nicely. I returned to the campground, enjoyed the evening and woke to clear blue skies and 32 degrees!! BRRRR!!! I tried to enjoy it since I'd be sweating in Phoenix in just a few days.

3 Comments:

At 7:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a mixture of heaven and, well, not heaven. Glad the heaven won out, but 32 degrees, brrrrr.

 
At 7:32 AM, Blogger Desert Diva said...

I've always wanted to visit the "lesser part" of the Grand Canyon. Your photos are beautiful - thanks for sharing. Are you going to be in Borrego Springs for the WIN Thanksgiving meeting?

 
At 11:58 AM, Blogger sally said...

Hi Desert Diva,
No Borrego Springs for me this year, but I'll be in Quartzsite.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home