Sunday, August 26, 2007

Wild HOGS part deux

I spent 4 days in Wilsonville, OR during the annual Oregon State HOG (Harley Owners Group) Rally. Thursday evening Latus H-D wined and dined us with a taco bar, sodas and a great DJ.
My bike, Lucky, is ready for the road

The boys wait patiently while I'm out riding

This is the new 2008, 105th Anniversary version of my bike

This bike is ready for the Drag Races

Hundreds of bikers met at Salem H-D Shop for the Friday rides. Before riding we enjoyed a Biker Breakfast of biscuits and gravy, sausage, fruit, coffee and assorted sweet rolls. I joined a group of riders from the Tacoma, WA HOG Chapter for a 130 mile ride through the beautiful Oregon countryside.
About 28 miles into the scenic ride at the intersection of Murder Creek Rd. and Kamph Dr. I rounded a sharp curve and came upon this scene. The black skid marks were already there, but you can see the whitish skid mark caused by the bike.

The lead bike of the group of 15 riders leaned a bit too far and ended up skidding on the left footboard. The local Paramedics arrived quickly and deemed the riders not seriously injured. Not too sure about the bike though - a 2002 Ultra Classic.

The Albany H-D Shop was about 3 miles away and sent a trailer to pick up the wrecked bike and the riders. The rest of us rode on to the H-D Shop where we helped Dan and Colleen shop for a new bike. And we enjoyed free hot dogs and sodas.
I globbed onto a group of 3 bikes from Lynnwood, WA for the rest of the ride. Here we stopped in the Silver Falls State Park for a photo op.

Friday night we dined on BBQ chicken, beans, and cole slaw while lisenting to a local rock band at Paradise H-D Shop in Tigard.

Saturday morning a Biker Breakfast of donuts and coffee greeted us at the Wilsonville Holiday Inn. Saturday I joined a few riders from the Friday ride, including the slightly injured Dan and Colleen riding a loaner bike. We had planned to do an easier, shorter version of the prescribed 235 mile ride over to the coast. Well, our easy day ended up being a very long, 10 hour day finished off with a 40 mile section of the twistiest road I have ever been on (the road between Beaverton and Carlton). To top it off, it included a 5 mile section of dirt. YIKES!! I hate dirt roads!! I survived it, but I arrived back at the RV park around 6:10 which was not enough time to feed, walk and play with the boys (until they forgot I left them alone all day), and make it to a nearby Hotel to catch the bus ride to the undisclosed location for the Saturday evening festivities. So I missed the Saturday dinner, entertainment, and awards ceremony, but I had a great time with the great guys and gal from Tacoma, WA, and one guy from Colorado Springs, CO.
Dan and Colleen The Saturday ride group

A beautify view of the Pacific Ocean from Cape Meares

Cape Meares Light House

Sunday morning I left Wilsonville and headed south to Eugene where I'll be for 3-4 days.


At 6:00 PM, Blogger Randy & Diana said...

Wow! Great pictures. You really know how to tell a story with your pictures.


Post a Comment

<< Home