Sunday, December 28, 2008

A farewell to Oliver

Oliver, my Cairn Terrier, was a loyal and devoted friend for over 17 years. Monday afternoon, December 26, 2008, he was granted his angel wings and he floated gracefully upward to heaven. I will miss him immensely. I adopted Oliver in July of 1991 while living in Tehachapi, CA. Little Oliver traveled far and wide with me on my RV travels. He accompanied me to Mexico in 1993. To Alaska and Canada in 2002. To Maine and Florida in 2004. And to approximately 40 other states in the past 17 years. He went surfing in the Pacific Ocean, and swimming in my hot tub in California. He rode in my bicycle basket and on the tank of my ATV. He loved to eat and would eat almost anything. He caught a mole in our Tehachapi yard. He terrorized a skunk in Montana. He herded cows in Utah. He attacked and held his ground with numerous large dogs. He suffered a bit from small dog complex, but he overcame that in his later years. His soft, gentle snoring soothed me to sleep at night. He loved riding in the car and protected his scaredy cat brother Murphy, the Westie, from the scary road noises and scary bumps. When I brought six week old Murphy home Oliver was 5 years old. They squared off for about 10 minutes, then Oliver conceded and allowed Murphy to THINK that HE was Alpha dogs. But Oliver and I always knew better. Oliver was small, but very mighty!!!
I miss you Ollie!!











A Pet's Prayer
Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should lick your hand between the blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me do.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footstep falls upon my waiting ear.

When it is cold and wet, please take me inside, for I am now a domesticated animal, no longer used to bitter elements. And I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth. Though had you no home, I would rather follow you through ice and snow than rest upon the softest pillow in the warmest home in all the land, for you are my god and I am your devoted worshiper.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although I should not reproach you were it dry, I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me clean food, that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life should your life be in danger.

And, beloved master, should the Great Master see fit to deprive me of my health or sight, do not turn me away from you. Rather, hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest and I will leave you knowing the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands.

Written by Beth Norman Harris

6 Comments:

At 7:37 PM, Blogger Diana said...

Oh, I am soooo sorry. Molly and I will miss Oliver and his windmill tail very much. Hope you are doing okay.

 
At 1:06 PM, Blogger Barbara and Ron said...

What a lovely tribute to sweet little Oliver. My condolences to both you and Murphy. He was a precious gift - I still picture him with his life vest riding with you in your kayak. He will be missed by us all.

 
At 5:10 PM, Blogger Ted and Mary Ellen said...

Sally, I am so sorry! I know how hard it is to lose such a wonderful companion. Our animals are so special in our lives. If I can find your email address, I'll send a copy of the Rainbow Bridge. It is the best story I've ever read about pets. Give Murphy special hugs; he'll grieve too.

 
At 8:05 PM, Blogger sally said...

Diana, Barbara and Mary Ellen,
Thank you for your kind words in regards to Oliver. He was a special little guy, and luckily his passing didn't come unexpectedly. ME, thanks in advance for the Rainbow Bridge story.

 
At 9:46 AM, Blogger PJ said...

Hi Sally,

Although not surprising it is sad to see that Oliver has passed.

I'm so sorry for the loss of your companion and family member. It's obvious how much he was loved and what a special partner he was in your life.

Murphy has some huge paws to fill.

PJ

 
At 2:18 PM, Blogger onthemove said...

What a lovely tribute to your faithful friend. I know you will miss him. Hugs...Donna

 

Post a Comment

<< Home